Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Review: The Darkest Promise by Gena Showalter

30044001
Series: Lords of hte Underworld Book #13
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harlequin
 
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
 
Possessed by the demon of Misery, Cameo isn't allowed to experience joy. If she dares, her memory is wiped clean. With no other recourse, she sneaks into a land more fantastical than any fairy tale, determined to find the one man with the key to her redemption.

Lazarus the Cruel and Unusual rules his kingdom with a single unwavering focus: to build his army and annihilate his enemies. Nothing distracts him - until Cameo. He is relentless in his quest to make her smile and seduce her into his bed.

As dark forces conspire against them, threatening to destroy the fragile bond they've forged, the once-calm Lazarus grows crazed. Every heart-stopping kiss and wicked touch causes Cameo to teeter on the brink of happiness. But if she falls, she risks forgetting him forever
 
 Review
 
Cameo has been a kind of mysterious character throughout this series so I was eager to read her story. And I was quickly invested in her story with Lazarus. But I will say this series is getting a little too big for me. Generally, I'm enjoying myself, but I'm forgetting who everone is and their relationships.
The romance was a bit too sexual for me. I've been saying that a lot lately, so I'm starting to wonder if it's me. I could tell they cared about each other and was cheering them on, but I did wish they would talk about sex less.

Lazarus was kind of a nice surprise. He had shown up earlier, but he was really developed here. And I found myself excited for chapters in his POV. not, that I didn't like Cameo, because I did.

Speaking of surprises-Viola. She came out swinging in this one. I know I complained about this series being too big, but I do want a book for her. this book. With just what I got in this book, she seems to be an interestingly complex character. Ms. Showalter does seem to be good at leaving bread crumbs like that.

I'm glad I read this and it was better than the previous book. I'm curious to see what happens in the next couple books. But I think I'm going to just focus on the romances instead of trying to keep track of the larger plot lines, like the Pandora's box stuff.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment