Monday, August 7, 2017

Review: Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop

17563080
Series: The Others Book #2
Format: ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Publisher:  Roc

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

After winning the trust of the terra indigene residing in the Lakeside Courtyard, Meg Corbyn has had trouble figuring out what it means to live among them. As a human, Meg should be barely tolerated prey, but her abilities as a cassandra sangue make her something more.

The appearance of two addictive drugs has sparked violence between the humans and the Others, resulting in the murder of both species in nearby cities. So when Meg has a dream about blood and black feathers in the snow, Simon Wolfgard - Lakeside’s shape-shifting leader - wonders if their blood prophet dreamed of a past attack or a future threat.

As the urge to speak prophecies strikes Meg more frequently, trouble finds its way inside the Courtyard. Now, the Others and the handful of humans residing there must work together to stop the man bent on reclaiming their blood prophet - and stop the danger that threatens to destroy them all.
 
Review

Holy crap! I haven’t read a book in one sitting in a long time. Like I got up to go to the bathroom while reading this and was actually annoyed by it. The first book slowly worked it’s way under my skin while this one immediately sucked me in and wouldn’t let go.

This book is an excellent example of how to write tension. My favorite-and probably the most minor-is the sexual tension because I love romance. Then there’s the general tension and unrest in the world. It kept me engaged and on the edge of my seat but didn’t stress me out. Sometimes books are too tense and they make me feel like I’m going to have a panic attack which is too much and I don’t like.

First, let’s discuss issues. Well, there’s one: There isn’t enough Sam. OK, that isn’t a real issue but he’s so cute. And I love his relationship with Meg. But there’s so much going on and sacrifices have to be made.

The world building became even stronger in this one. More characters and information was introduced. I feel like I learned more about the different “Others” both as a whole and individuals. Plus, we got to explore more about how the world is set up and different countries/continents. Then, there’s the information that was provided about the Blood Prophets.

I have to talk about the romance or budding romance. In the first book, I thought there would be a romance but I didn’t know if I was just delusional. But this time it was thrown in my face. But I feel like it’s going to be soooooooooo slow. I felt like I was getting book blue-balls because I just wanted them to kiss.

I’m amazed by how much happened in this book. The big climactic moment I knew would happen, but I figured it would be a few books down the line. So, I have no idea what’s going to happen next. I am certainly excited to find out soon. I just have to wait on another library hold. 

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment