Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Review: When it's Real by Erin Watt

30731416
Stand Alone
Format: Ebook
Rating: 2 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: New Adult
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Synopsis from GoodReads

Meet Oakley Ford-teen celebrity, renowned pop star, child of famous movie stars, hottie with millions of fangirls… and restless troublemaker. On the surface he has it all, but with his home life disintegrating, his music well suddenly running dry, and the tabloids having a field day over his outrageous exploits, Oakley's team decides it's time for an intervention. The result: an image overhaul, complete with a fake girlfriend meant to show the world he's settled down.

Enter seventeen-year-old Vaughn Bennett-devoted sister, part-time waitress, the definition of "normal." Under ordinary circumstances she'd never have taken this gig, but with her family strapped for cash, she doesn't have much of a choice. And for the money Oakley's team is paying her, she figures she can put up with outlandish Hollywood parties and a team of publicists watching her every move. So what if she thinks Oakley's a shallow, self-centered jerk? It's not like they're going to fall for each other in real life…right?

Review

Should I even review this book? 

I almost DNF'd it so many times. Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't. Maybe some sense of loyalty to Elle Kennedy.

Mostly, this felt like someone put a bunch of new adult tropes, themes, ideas, and character types into a hat. Then, they pulled them out and wrote this story. Now, formulaic books can work, but this didn't. It lacked any kind of magic. The main issue is that I never bought the romance. I know I should, but I just couldn't see the chemistry or attraction.

There was something that happened at the end that was a little different. I liked that, but it happened so fast and wasn't explored nearly enough. 

I haven't had the best luck with Erin Watt books. That's a surprise because I do like Elle Kennedy. I don't think I've read any Jen Frederick books. Should I keep trying?

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment