Monday, January 29, 2018

Review: The Chosen By J.R. Ward

29863848
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood Book #15
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Xcor, leader of the Band of Bastards, convicted of treason against the Blind King, is facing a brutal interrogation and torturous death at the hands of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Yet after a life marked by cruelty and evil deeds, he accepts his soldier’s fate, his sole regret the loss of a sacred female who was never his: the Chosen Layla.

Layla alone knows the truth that will save Xcor’s life. But revealing his sacrifice and his hidden heritage will expose them both and destroy everything Layla holds dear—even her role of mother to her precious young. Torn between love and loyalty, she must summon the courage to stand up against the only family she has for the only man she will ever love. Yet even if Xcor is somehow granted a reprieve, he and Layla would have to confront a graver challenge: bridging the chasm that divides their worlds without paving the way for a future of even greater war, desolation, and death.
As a dangerous old enemy returns to Caldwell, and the identity of a new deity is revealed, nothing is certain or safe in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, not even true love . . . or destinies that have long seemed set in stone.
Review

I have so many thoughts. And this may come across as a lot of complaints, but I did really enjoy this.

Also: spoilers.

I'm going to talk about what happened throughout the book.

You've been warned.

Coming in I wasn't particularly invested in Xcor and Layla. I don't dislike their story like Sola and Assail, but I've never cared. But now I do. I was hooked and couldn't put this down because I needed to know what happened to them. I just couldn't believe they would ever be able to have a happily ever after.

Then, there were the other storylines/POVs. I couldn't stand the Throe chapters. They were like torture to read and I just skimmed them. I'm cautiously intrigued by the Trez/Terese thing. I want Trez to be happy, but it feels fast to move on. And whether she's Selena reincarnated or not I don't see how it won't be awkward.

And Quihnn was such a douche. I have always been a Blay/Quihnn supporter, but his behavior was too much. The way he spoke to Layla and Blay was pretty unforgivable. And then he just moped about Blay standing up to him. Honestly, I'm not sued I'll ever be able to look at him the same way again. I don't hate him, but I am disappointed in him.

Finally, we have this bullshit with V. I thought we had moved past this. If he cheats on Jane I may be done with this series. They were one of my favorite couples and I can't watch to end.

I have very little interest in the next book because Sola and Assail=😝. But I will read reviews to see what happens to Trez, Jane, and V. If I'm happy with what I see I'll pick it up.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment