Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Review: Destiny's Surrender by Beverly Jenkins

17331377
Series: Destiny Book #2
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Avon

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Andrew Yates has come to a decision: it's time to stop sowing those oats and start a family. But searching for a bride isn't as simple as he'd hoped, and many of the respectable women of his acquaintance feel . . . lacking. Then beautiful, feisty Wilhelmina "Billie" Wells arrives at the family ranch with a toddler in her arms, claiming Drew is the father! 

Billie had no choice but to show up at Destiny in search of Drew. For the sake of their child, she's willing to leave him with his father so the boy can have a better life, but then, before she can blink, she's saying "I do" in front of a preacher in a marriage of convenience. All Billie and Drew have in common is the heat that brought them together, but can their sizzling passion lead to an everlasting love?

Review

I finally read my first Beverly Jenkins book. I was expecting it to be a five star book based on how people talk about her. Now, I did enjoy this and will read more Beverly Jenkins, but it didn't particularly grip me.

The characters were interesting. Billie was my favorite. I loved how down to earth and realistic she was about her life. And the side characters like Drew's family were fun. They especially made me want to read the other books.

The romance was different. It isn't often that you see a prostitute story especially handled like this. Billie had no shame and owned who she was. Drew was a little bit of an a-hole so I didn't always cheer for him, but I came around. 

I've only read a few American-set historicals so that took some getting used to. I didn't even think about that going in. But I'll get used to the style and terminology as I read more.

Thanks for reading!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment