Friday, February 9, 2018

Review: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

28473477

Stand Alone
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 291
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Children's Fiction, Classic 
Publisher: Barnes and Noble

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

On the grounds of Misselthwaite, her Uncle Archibald's estate near the Yorkshire moors, nine-year-old Mary Lennox finds a walled-in garden that has been locked securely for years. With the help of Dickon Sowerby, a young local boy who can charm animals, Mary cultivates the garden, an experiences that both improves her health and raises her spirits. Ultimately, the secret garden proves beneficial not only to Mary, but to her sickly cousin Colin. Nurtured with love and tenderness, the secret garden proves it has the power to heal the heart. First published in 1911, Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden is a much-loved classic of children's literature. This illustrated edition, with full-colour plates by Charles Robinson, features an elegant bonded-leather binding, a satin-ribbon bookmark, distinctive gilded edging, and decorative endpapers. Decorative, durable, and collectible, it's a book that will be cherished by readers of all ages.

Review

It only took 2 years to complete this re-read. That has nothing to do with the quality of this story though. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've read this. It's a beautiful story and a fabulous example of what children's fiction can be. The writing is beautiful, but easy to read. She is able to bring the world alive.

And Mary is my soul sister. I identify with her in so many ways. Lennox in my handles comes from her last name. She's a great character for kids to see. She works through her anger and contrariness is helpful to see. And Dickon is such a sweetheart. Plus, this book is the reason I have an interest in India and Indian culture.

This will always be one of my favorite books. I want a secret garden some day. And if I have kids, this will be in my hospital bag so it can be the first book I read to them.

Now, I may need to watch the 1993 film adaptation because it's my favorite.

Thanks for reading!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment