Friday, June 15, 2018

Review: To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn

110386
Series: The Bridgertons Book #4
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 372
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Avon

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Sir Phillip knew from  his correspondence with his dead wife's distant cousin that Eloise Bridgerton was a spinster, and so he'd proposed, figuring that she'd be homely and unassuming, and more than a little desperate for an offer of marriage. Except . . . she wasn't. The beautiful woman on his doorstep was anything but quiet, and when she stopped talking long enough to close her mouth, all he wanted to do was kiss her...

Eloise Bridgerton couldn't marry a man she had never met! But then she started thinking... and wondering... and before she knew it, she was in a hired carriage in the middle of the night, on her way to meet the man she hoped might be her perfect match. Except... he wasn't. Her perfect husband wouldn't be so moody and ill-mannered. And he certainly should have mentioned that he had two young - and decidedly unruly - children, as much in need of a mother as Phillip is in need of a wife.

Review

This was a very fun read. Ms. Quinn deals with some serious issues like depression and suicide, but it's still a very sweet story.

I liked both Eloise and Phillip. Eloise is very chatty which I identify with. She's also very opinionated and doesn't take anyone's crap. Phillip has some anger issues, but unlike some romance heroes he attempts to control himself. And even though he struggles, he wants to be a good father. I think those are very admirable traits.

The romance was cute. It was a nice blend of organic and fast-paced. Although I am a sucker for stories with letter writing. It's probably the Jane Austen fan in me. And Ms. Quinn did a good job of showing the struggles in a marriage/relationship.

I'm not the biggest fan of kids in books/romances. I believe Sarah Wendell calls them plot moppets. They weren't fully developed, but did feel real enough while advancing the plot and character development in others. In the end, I liked them.

This was a re-read, but I don't remember how I felt the first time I read it. Sometimes series can start to drag when they get this far a long, but this was a nice surprise.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment