Friday, July 13, 2018

Review: A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn

28186322
Series: Veronica Speedwell Book #1
Format: ebook
Rating: 4.5 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library
Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery
Publisher: Penguin/NAL

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

London, 1887. After burying her spinster aunt, orphaned Veronica Speedwell is free to resume her world travels in pursuit of scientific inquiry—and the occasional romantic dalliance. As familiar with hunting butterflies as with fending off admirers, Veronica intends to embark upon the journey of a lifetime.

But fate has other plans when Veronica thwarts her own attempted abduction with the help of an enigmatic German baron, who offers her sanctuary in the care of his friend Stoker, a reclusive and bad-tempered natural historian. But before the baron can reveal what he knows of the plot against her, he is found murdered—leaving Veronica and Stoker on the run from an elusive assailant as wary partners in search of the villainous truth.

Review

I got this from the library after hearing an interview with Deanna Raybourn on the Smart Bitches podcast. Mystery isn't a typical genre for me, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I really enjoyed it, but can't quite give it 5 stars for some reason.

My favorite thing is the writing style. Veronica reminds me of Alexia Taribotti from the Parasol Protectorate series. She's kind of a snob, but still likable. Snob may be a little harsh. Veronica is very intelligent and independent and thinks she knows what is best in every situation. She has a pretty subtle wit that often made me smile.

The mystery was interesting and kept me guessing. I'm curious to see what mysteries and stories happen in the next books.

There is a budding romance-at least I think and hope. It'll probably be very drawn out, but I'm along for the ride. 

I really enjoy the dynamic between Stoker and Veronica. Stoker is an interesting character who I want to know more about. I think I see things about him Veronica doesn't but who knows. I guess I'll find out as I keep reading the series.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment