Friday, January 4, 2019

Review: Remedial Rocket Science by Susannah Nix

35430572
Series: Chemistry Lessons #1
Format: ebook
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Haver Street Press

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

College student Melody Gage is craving a night of no-strings fun when she meets charming out-of-towner Jeremy, and that’s exactly what she gets. Until three years later, when Melody relocates to Los Angeles and finds herself thrust back into Jeremy’s orbit. 

Not only does her hunky one-night stand work at the same aerospace company where she’s just started her dream job, he’s the CEO’s son. Jeremy’s got a girlfriend and a reputation as a bad boy, so Melody resolves to keep her distance. Despite her good intentions, a series of awkward circumstances—including an embarrassing crying jag, a latte vs. computer catastrophe, and an emergency fake date—throw her together with the heavenly-smelling paragon of hotness. 

As the billionaire playboy and nerdy IT girl forge an unlikely friendship, Melody’s attraction to Jeremy grows deeper than she’s ready to admit. Will she risk it all for a shot at her happy ending?

The debut novel from author Susannah Nix, Remedial Rocket Science follows in the tradition of contemporary romantic comedy favorites like Penny Reid, Sally Thorne, and Jennifer Crusie. This lighthearted slow burn romance is the first in a series of standalone rom-coms featuring geeky heroines who work in STEM fields.

Review

I don't remember where or how I first heard about this book, but I do remember buying it right away. My sister is a Professor and big into STEM. So, I was interested in the story, but I also wondered if it was a romance novel she might have interest in.

And I ended up a little disappointed. Melody was a decent character and not a super stereotypical "smart" girl. Sometimes she seemed a little whiny which bothered me. Jeremy, the hero, was a good guy. He probably would've been better if the story was written in dual POV. But I always prefer dual POV in my romance. 

The story was a little more dramatic than I was expecting. Like kind of soap opera drama. And there was some cheating. I really don't like cheating. In this tory it was just really glossed over like it wasn't an issue. That just bothers me.

The romance was relatively cute, but overall this felt very bleh. I probably won't keep reading the series which is sad, but that's the truth.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment