Friday, September 8, 2017

Review: The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan

17343236
Series: The Brothers Sinister Book #4
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Self-Published
 
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Miss Frederica "Free" Marshall has put her heart and soul into her newspaper, known for its outspoken support of women's rights. Naturally, her enemies are intent on destroying her business and silencing her for good. Free refuses to be at the end of her rope...but she needs more rope, and she needs it now.

...a jaded scoundrel...

Edward Clark's aristocratic family abandoned him to die in a war-torn land, so he survived the only way he could: by becoming a rogue and a first-class forger. When the same family that left him for dead vows to ruin Miss Marshall, he offers his help. So what if he has to lie to her? She's only a pawn to use in his revenge.

...and a scandal seven years in the making.

But the irrepressible Miss Marshall soon enchants Edward. By the time he realizes that his cynical heart is hers, it's too late. The only way to thwart her enemies is to reveal his scandalous past...and once the woman he loves realizes how much he's lied to her, he'll lose her forever.

Review

Part of the reason I hadn't read this yet was because I thought I wouldn't like it. Why? I have no idea. It wasn't waht I thought it would be in the best possible way. It has some very serious content, but had a lighter tone then the others in the series.

My favorite thing about this is the banter between Free and Edward. They play off eachother so well. And it felt very fast so I could hear them going in my head. There was a push and pull between them, but it was never disrespectful or harsh.

I did also like them as individual characters. I like Edward just a little bit more than Free-he was a little more engaging and complex. But Free was interesting especially wiht her outlook on life, society, and women's rights.

Speaking of-the suffragette movement was a huge part of this story. And it was very easy to see that there was commentary on how far we have or haven't come in 100+ years. That doesn't bother me, but I thought I should mention it.

One disappearing things is the side characters. I felt there were crumbs left out for their stories especially Patrick, but there was no fulfillment. I just feel a little let down by that, but maybe I'm reading too much into things.

Thanks for reading!
Holly 


No comments:

Post a Comment