Saturday, January 3, 2015

Only Between Us by Mila Ferrera



Format: Ebook
Pages: 247
Rating: 4.5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I've been wanting to read this since I read Everything Between Us. And I''m so glad I did. I put Mila Ferrera with Megan Erikson in that she writes slightly different New Adult. Plus, dual POV always helps. 

Going in I thought I would immediately connect with Romy, but Caleb was the character that really got me. I do like Romy and would get emotional (read: teary) when she struggled with her past. And her struggle felt real. I love that she has to battle being vulnerable and trusting herself. But Caleb broke my heart. What he had to go through and his continuous struggle was awe-inspiring to read about.

And I loved the way Ms. Ferrera incorporates art. It worked well in Everything Between Us, but even better here. I am not an artist and, generally, don't get art. But I easily pictured the art described. Plus, it gave me a deeper look into Caleb's head. I feel like that's what authors are going for when they have artistic characters, but it doesn't always work.

The romance was also fantastic. Sometimes the conflict keeping a couple apart feels forced, but this was the opposite. Every person has a past and problems they bring into a relationship. And some of those things will always be there. I also liked how Ms. Ferrera handled Romy's experience with domestic violence. She was respectful and allowed Romy's self-confidence to grow instead of a guy fixing everything.

My only real issue is the same problem I had with Ms. Ferrera's other book. There were too many problems left unresolved. There's definitely groundwork for a resolution, but I would have liked to see more. I think sometime authors who write romance rely too much on the others understanding that these characters have a happily ever after. I need you to prove to me these characters will actually have a HEA.

This did make me like Daniel even more. I was afraid he'd be a silly playboy, but he's just as caring and insightful in this story. And I kind of want to re-read his book now.

A warning; this book does deal with abuse in several forms. I've mentioned that in passing and it is in the synopsis, but I want to make it clear. I would say the actual actions are not described too much, but it is present and I know some people like to avoid those themes or story points.

But if you don't mind that I highly recommend this-especially for a new adult read.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment