Tuesday, August 12, 2014

More Than This by Jay MacLean



Format: Paperback
Pages: 311
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                As with most new adult books I went into this book with little to no expectations. But I had heard some good things, so I figured it was worth the buy.
                I did enjoy it and gave it three stars. Basically I was entertained and cared about the characters, but I’m glad this is an e-book for me, so it isn’t taking up valuable shelf space.
                First, I’ll talk about the things I did like. One: a multi-ethnic heroine is always nice and something I haven’t seen a lot of. I enjoyed a lot of the side characters especially his parents and a family. The big reveal definitely surprised me.
                Now, let’s discuss my issues. While I did like the side characters they often felt like background and weren’t as flushed out as I would like. And while I did like the romance and both people in it, sometimes I thought it was rushed-especially for her. She went through several traumatic events which, in my opinion, makes her vulnerable. This was addressed, but there could have been more.
                This was a perfectly acceptable New Adult novel I’m sure a lot of people would enjoy. It is a fast read filled with lots of feels. Although this is definitely one of the more sexual new adult books I’ve read so far.
                Now, onto the spoiler bits.
                I definitely didn’t think she should have been getting into a relationship right after breaking up with her long-term boyfriend. Then, having her family tragically murdered made it even worse. I completely understand that going through something traumatic like that can bring people together, but I’m not sure that is the best foundation for a healthy long-term relationship.
                Jay MacLean did do a great job with making you fall in love with her family. She really only had a few pages to make us care about them. I did grow attached to them and was devastated by their murder. Which even with the prologue I didn’t see coming.
                I’m happy to see a female who comes to the story comfortable with her sexuality. It doesn’t matter if she’s a virgin or not. I’m just tired of the meek virgin heroine.
                Basically I was entertained by the story and the writing style can be addictive, but this definitely isn’t a favorite. Although, I would like to read the other books in the series…eventually.

~Thanks for reading!

-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment