Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick



Format: Paperback
Pages: 394
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                Even though I heard a lot of good things about this book it surprised me. I guess it’s because of my own bias-I go into almost every contemporary with the assumption it will be average. I’ve been reading quite a few good ones lately so maybe I’ll be getting over these assumptions soon.
                I really liked Samantha as a character and identified with her. She kind of reminds me of Sydney Sage from Vampire Academy and Bloodlines. But I think some people might find her personality and thought process annoying.
                Most of the characters are well-developed like both families and Samantha’s friends. Sometimes this can be hard when a story is told in first person, but Ms. Fitzpatrick did spectacular. Especially, Tim. I wasn’t sure about him in the beginning, but by the end I was in love with him and want more of his journey and life.
                It would be easy to think this story is just a romance especially from the cover. But, to me, it is also about Samantha’s personal journey and her relationship with her family, friends, and the other Garretts.
                Don’t worry though-the romance is also enjoyable. I’ve seen some people’s reviews and they feel like this is insta-love, but that isn’t how I interpreted it.
                This was a perfect contemporary. It was a nice blend of romance and friendship. And all of the characters were fun to read about. Plus, it pulled at your heart strings just enough to keep you reading.
                My Life Next Door is a great summer read and I would recommend it. I’m excited to read more of Huntley Fitzpatrick’s books and I’m mad I have to wait a year to read the companion novel-The Boy Most Likely.

~Thanks for reading!

-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment