Saturday, September 6, 2014

Review: Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale



Format: Paperback

Pages: 471

Rating: 5 Stars

How I Got It: Borrowed from the library

                This story completely blew me away. I’ve never read a story or romance like this. Ms. Kinsale addresses several potential issues expertly. I borrowed this from the library, but fully intend on buying my own copy so I can read it again and again.

                First I need to talk about Christian. I’m not sure I’ve ever connected to a character-especially a male-so strongly. The scenes from his point of view were my favorite and I was always eager for them. She wrote them in a way that really put you in his situation. I feel like I can’t properly explain how much I love him and how much of an impact he has made on me.

                I did like the heroine-Maddy. Being a Quaker she was a different kind of heroine for me. And she really seemed to embody her religious beliefs while having an honest struggle with maintaining those beliefs. I also liked that she didn’t completely change herself or her beliefs for a guy. My one wish is that some more information on the Quaker faith and society was provided. I know some things but more information would have really flushed out her character.

                This book is full of potential issues: religious differences, a caregiver falling in love with their charge. But Ms. Kinsale navigates them well. She treats both sides of the religious issue with respect and honesty. And she creates a friendship between Christian and Maddy so it feels honest when it turns to a romance. It doesn’t hurt that if anyone is taking advantage of anyone it is Christian taking advantage of Maddy.

                I recommend this book without reservation. It’s a beautiful story along with a great romance. This book is extra intriguing if you like an angsty read or a “nerdy” hero since Christian has a passion for math.

~Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment