Sunday, August 17, 2014

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally



Series : Hundred Oaks (Companion Series)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 242 pages
Rating: 2 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                OK. This book reminds me why I assume contemporary books are going to be disappointing. It was predictable and felt way too much like Catching Jordan. I’m going to read Racing Savannah because I already own it and I’m a sucker for horse books. But if that book is equally disappointing Miranda Kenneally and I may need to part ways.
                My biggest complaint isn’t the predictability-it’s the main character. Personally, I can’t stand Parker. She purposely “hooks up” with a bunch of guys, but then gets upset when peoples suggest she is a slut or gasp-is using guys. I don’t have a problem with her actions, but with how she handles other people’s reactions.
                I know there were times Ms. Kenneally was trying to make us feel bad for Parker, but I couldn’t. Really the only times I sort of liked her was when she was around Will (AKA Corndog) and Drew. And, honestly, that was probably just because I liked them so much and if I had to deal with her to get them I would.
                Will and Drew are clearly the best part of the book. They are great and selfless. And even though they have a lot of going on in their own lives they support Parker and are good friends. She doesn’t realize this, in my opinion, and doesn’t deserve either of them.
                Let’s talk spoilers and by that I really only mean one-Brian. First, he’s a lot like Ty from Catching Jordan-sweet and charming in the beginning, but then turns into a douche bag.
                I wasn’t necessarily opposed to them having a relationship.  I’m not sure what that says about me. But her willingness to let him treat her the way he did shows how little respect she has for herself. It was especially gross when he wanted to have sex with her and she refused so he pulled his pants down and asked for a BJ. Really?! I guess in that way Ms. Kenneally did a good job because she made me really hate him.
                Another annoying thing is how Parker handles the fallout of her and Brian getting caught. I can forgive her lying to principal but she continues to think about him and try to talk-even until a few pages to the end. He was rude, condescending, took advantage of her, and-depending on how you interpreted it-sexually assaulted or molested.
                Basically every decision Parker made doesn’t make sense to me and I think Will should have run away from her as fast as humanly possible.

~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment