Monday, January 18, 2016

Review: November 9 by Colleen Hoover

25111004
Stand Alone
Format: Paperback
Pages: 307
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Atria Books

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist.
 
Review

I probably shouldn't write this review right now, because I'm still keyed up. But I probably won't write it if I wait. So here we go.

November 9 isn't my favorite Colleen Hoover book, but it's definitely up there. I liked that it's kind of a meta romance novel. And I like the characters and their story.

Fallon is great. I loved seeing her grow into herself and rediscover her self-confidence. And her outlook on life is cool.

I know some people have a problem with Ben, but I don't. I understand he did something bad. But I also believe people can make mistakes. He made a choice in one intense situation that he regrets and spends the rest of his life in penance. Years of remorse and redemption forgive him for me.

The story being told one day per year makes it interesting. It created a tension that made me want to keep reading. At the same time, it was frustrating because I wanted to know what was going on throughout the year. It also makes you look at life differently. Seeing a snapshot of someone's life only shows you so much. Remember that.

Couldn't you give me an epilogue or something though, Ms. Hoover?

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment