Friday, September 2, 2016

Review: A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare

11738128
Series: Spindle Cove Book #2
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 356
Rating: 4.5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance, Small-town
Publisher: Avon

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
 
Minerva Highwood, one of Spindle Cove's confirmed spinsters, needs to be in Scotland.

Colin Sandhurst, Lord Payne, a rake of the first order, needs to be... anywhere but Spindle Cove.

These unlikely partners have one week to
• fake an elopement
• convince family and friends they're in "love"
• outrun armed robbers
• survive their worst nightmares
• travel four hundred miles without killing each other
All while sharing a very small carriage by day and an even smaller bed by night.

What they don't have time for is their growing attraction. Much less wild passion. And heaven forbid they spend precious hours baring their hearts and souls.

Suddenly one week seems like exactly enough time to find a world of trouble. And maybe... just maybe... love.


Review

I remember really liking this the first time I read it. But I didn't remember much else. This made this re-read exciting, but a little scary. What if I was disappointed?

It's easy to see from my star-rating I wasn't. This book has so much of my catnip-the bickering couple, emotional trauma, marriage of convenience. It also has some of that small town vibes and no ballroom which is a nice break.

Minerva and Colin are both great characters. And they have fantastic banter. Minerva is very strong and intelligent. And she never loses that which is nice to see. She evolves, but not in a negative way. Then there's Colin. Oh, Colin. He is such a kind person, but no one seems to see that. Ms. Dare really shows how people's expectations can impact you.

I'm not always a fan of stories with forced confinement for the hero and heroine. But this one works. It probably helps that it isn't one location and they put themselves in this situation.

Oh, and there was some sequel bait which the world knows I love. I'm really glad I started to re-read this series, because it's beautiful.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment