Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Review: Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach

15790894
Series: Paradox Book #1
Format: Trade Paperback
Pages: 320
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library
Genre: Sci-Fi, Futuristic
Publisher: Orbit

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
 
Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet.
That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.


Review

I normally picture the books I'm reading in my head, but this was like a full-blown movie. I attribute that mostly to Ms. Bach's world building, but I have watched a lot of Sci-Fi shows with bad-ass women-BSG, Killjoys, Dark Matter, Firefly, etc. The characters were fantastic and I'm invested in these characters and their story so hard.

Really the world is the star for me. It's so developed and explained in such an easy way. Ms. Bach touches on some tiny things that help make it feel real. Like details about different species I wouldn't even think about. A lot of times, Sci-Fi stories just have humans or humanoid creatures.

All that being said Devi is solid. She's actually a pretty well-balanced bad-ass which you don't always see I don't have a lot in common with her, but I still respect her. She's smart and kind even if she's a little reckless.

The side characters were also done well. Rupert and Nova are probably my favorites. Ms. Bach did a great job of laying groundwork so I'm curious about them, but didn't do too much. Which right now I'm pretty frustrated about.

I have no idea were this is going but I'm definitely excited to go on the journey.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment