Friday, January 27, 2017

Review: Up in Flames by Abbi Glines

25840037
Series: Rosemary Beach #13
Format: Paperback
Pages: 246
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Atria

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Spoiled. Selfish. Rich girl. Villain. Slut.

As the Prada-clad bad girl of Rosemary Beach, Nan Dillon has been called every vile name under the hot summer sun. Some of her reputation is deserved—she’s never had to worry about anything but maintaining her perfect figure and splitting Daddy’s private jet with her brother, Rush.

But Nan is far from happy. Rush has another kid on the way and doesn’t have time to catch up with his sister. Grant, the last guy she truly cared about, chose to be with her half-sister, Harlow, instead of her. And Harlow, who has never gotten over the way Nan treated her when she first moved to town, remains distant.

So when Major asks her out, she jumps at the chance to date the gorgeous charmer. Though she doesn’t know much about the sweet-talking Texan, and though it’s clear he doesn’t want to be exclusive, dating him beats hanging out with vapid socialites or watching Netflix alone at home.

For a while, Nan deals with Major’s playboy ways, but after he burns her one too many times, she takes off for an impromptu wild weekend in Vegas. There, she meets Gannon, a darkly seductive and oh-so-dangerous businessman who knows exactly how to handle her.

With Major asking for a second chance and Gannon haunting her dreams, Nan has to decide who to give her heart to. But what she doesn’t realize is that these players are involved in a much bigger game—and they’re already two moves ahead of her.


Review

Honestly, this is the best Abbi Glines book I've read. It still has some issues, but overall I'm happy. And Abbi Glines didn't fall back on some of the things she uses regularly.

I've seen some people say the relationship in here is dysfunctional or abusive, but I disagree. Actually, many of the others are more abusive in my opinion.

I don't do this normally, but the rest will contain spoilers.

You've been warned!!!

Nan has been a huge pain point for me throughout the series. Not because she was a villian, but because she wasn't very well developed. This finally let me get a glimpse into her head so shes an actual multi-dimensional person. I particularly liked her interactions with Nate. I didn't want her changed by some man. But the unconditional love of a child I can get behind. Seeing her open up to Blaire a little was also great. If only she could do the same with Harlow.

When it comes to the romance-it was like Abbi Glines tricked us, but I don't mind. I just assumed because of the chapter headings she would end up with Major and I'm glad she didn't. He was such a tool. Cope actually got Nan as a woman and was a man that complemented her. He's a little stalkery, but not as bad as some other Abbi Glines heroes.

I give Ms. Glines props for exploring a different kind of sexual relationship. Nan was consenting to everything-ok most things but I'll get there-Cope did to her. S&M or violence in bed may not be your cup of tea, but that doesn't make it inherently wrong. What did give me pause was when he had sex with her while she was sleeping/dreaming. It was definitely a consent grey area. He did own up to it which helped.

I'm glad I pushed through this series and it's Virgin hero-worship, because I got to read this one. I did skip Captain's book because my library happened to have this one so I will probably go back now. That night fill in some parts of the plot that left me a tinsy bit confused.

Thanks for reading!
Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment