Friday, March 31, 2017

Review: The Darkest Torment by Gena Showalter

30900064
Series: Lords of the Underworld Book #12
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Overdrive
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harlequin

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
 
Driven to his death by the demon of Distrust, Baden spent centuries in purgatory. Now he's back, but at what cost? Bound to the king of the underworld, an even darker force, he's unable to withstand the touch of another and he's quickly devolving into a heartless assassin with an uncontrollable temper. Things only get worse when a mission goes awry and he finds himself saddled with a bride just not his own.

Famed dog trainer Katarina Joelle is forced to marry a monster to protect her loved ones. When she's taken hostage by the ruthless, beautiful Baden immediately after the ceremony, she's plunged into a war between two evilswith a protector more dangerous than the monsters he hunts. They are meant to be enemies, but neither can resist the passion burning between them and all too soon the biggest threat is to her heart.

But as Baden slips deeper into the abyss, she'll have to teach him to love or lose him forever.


Review

I haven't been doing reviews of these. Mostly this is because I plan to do a series review on my YouTube channel when I'm done. But this one felt a little different.

Katarina actually didn't just fall all over Baden. Oftentimes instalove just happens with paranormal romance. This used to not bother me, but now it does. So, her determination to take care of herself was admirable. And it actually made me care more about them as a couple when they did get together.

And I love dogs so that was a nice bonus. It added extra dimension to Katarina's character. But I didn't like that she was trying to "train" Baden. I get it, but it felt kind of calculating.

This was actually one of the strongest books in the series. That's kind of weird becasue normally romance series get weaken when they become this big. I'm pretty excited for Cameo's book and am even interested in Pandora's story now-if that's a thing.

Thanks for reading!
Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment