Friday, March 3, 2017

Review: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

10866624
Series: The Lynburn Legacy Book #1
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 370
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Publisher: Random House

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met... a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?


Review

I've been putting off reading this because I heard it was angsty and I have to be in the right mood for that kind of book. And it definitely has angsty moments, but it was also very funny. And I really flew through it which is nice.

On the surface I really love Kami. She is hilarious in the best way possible. She just always has something smart to say no matter who she talks to. But sometimes I thought she was rude and reckless. She's a teenager, but she would act a little to big for her britches. She has already started to reflect on herself and is becoming a better friend so I'm pretty OK with it.

Then there are the paranormal elements and plot. Some parts I was able to predict, but overall I was kept guessing. I don't want to give anything away, because I think it's best if you go in with very little knowledge. So, I'll say I enjoyed the world-building aspects Ms. Brennan used.

This is a paranormal story, but the characters are the true stars for me. Kami could easily steal the show because she is such a dominant personality. The Lynburns are interesting, but mostly in a mysterious way. Angela is so dark, but funny. And Kami's dad! He's kind of a minor side character, but he's probably my favorite. Every time he showed up I laughed out loud and loved the scene.

To end this I want to say I have a ship. I feel like there is a love triangle, but I have a very serious side. My ship better sail!

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment