Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Book Review: Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office by Lois P. Frankel

18984687
Stand Alone
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Non-Fiction
Publisher: Hachette Audio 

Synopsis from GoodReads

In this new edition, internationally recognized executive coach Lois P. Frankel reveals a distinctive set of behaviors-over 130 in all-that women learn in girlhood that ultimately sabotage them as adults. She teaches you how to eliminate these unconscious mistakes that could be holding you back and offers invaluable coaching tips that can easily be incorporated into your social and business skills. The results for hundreds of thousands of women have been career opportunities they never thought possible-at every stage of their career, from entry-level to the corner office! Stop making "nice girl" errors that can become career pitfalls, such as: Mistake #13: Avoiding office politics. If you don't play the game, you can't possibly win. Mistake #21: Multi-tasking. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it. Mistake #54: Failure to negotiate. Don't equate negotiation with confrontation. Mistake #70: Inappropriate use of social media. Once it's out there, it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Mistake #82: Asking permission. Children, not adults, ask for approval. Be direct, be confident.

Review

I don't typically review by non-fiction books, but I had some things to say about this. And this is more my observations then a review. But isn't that always the case?

Overall, this had some helpful tips and interesting observations. I recently started a new job where I feel like this can be helpful. I do a lot of the things Ms. (Dr?) Frankel says women do-I make my voice higher subconsciously and can be kind of mothering to my co-workers.

And her tips are mostly helpful. I would like to work on adding them to my life. But some made me a little mad. They come across kind of like "just be like a man." Men may do better in corporate business, but there are just certain things women shouldn't have to give up if they don't want to. Like one thing she said was not to have long hair because it reminds people of little girls. I have and like long hair. And if that's one of the reasons I don't advance I'm ok with that because that is such a stupid thing to be concerned with. If your hair is well cared for it shouldn't matter. That whole tip just really stuck out to me as annoying.

Thanks for reading!
Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment