Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Book Review: Brooklynaire by Sarina Bowen

35053870
Series: Brooklyn Bruisers Book #4
Format: ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Sports Romance
Publisher: Self-Published

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

You’d think a billion dollars, a professional hockey team and a six-bedroom mansion on the Promenade would satisfy a guy. You’d be wrong.

For seven years Rebecca has brightened my office with her wit and her smile. She manages both my hockey team and my sanity. I don’t know when I started waking in the night, craving her. All I know is that one whiff of her perfume ruins my concentration. And her laugh makes me hard.

When Rebecca gets hurt, I step in to help. It’s what friends do. But what friends don’t do is rip off each others’ clothes for a single, wild night together.

Now she’s avoiding me. She says we’re too different, and it can never happen again. So why can’t we keep our hands off each other?

Review

I was so excited for this book. There were little bread crumbs for it throughout the previous books and I'm a huge sucker for sequel bait. And this was exactly what I needed. This feels like a nice cup of tea on a rainy day. It was pleasant and brightened my day.

Normally, Sarina Bowen books rip my heart out, but this was a treat. I loved spending time with Nate and Becca-individually and as a couple. I want to be friends with them! They are fantastic realistic and endearing characters. And its a very good friends-to-lovers romance.

Speaking of the romance-let's talk power dynamics. Generally, I avoid romances between a boss and employee because of the imbalance of power makes me super cringey. And it's even harder to handle in the hyper-aware world post Harvey Weinstein. but Ms. Bowen navigated this well. She acknowledged the potential issues and had Nate and Becca address them as mature thoughtful adults.

I can see this easily becoming a compulsive re-read for me-especially when I need a pick me up. Thank you, Sarina Bowen for still publishing this after Berkley dropped it. it's a fast favorite and I'm so happy it's part of my library.

Thanks for reading!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment