Friday, February 16, 2018

Review: Smut by Karina Halle

29381926
Stand Alone
Format: ebook
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library (Overdrive)
Genre: New Adult
Publisher: Self-Published

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

All Blake Crawford wants is to pass his creative writing course, get his university degree, and take over his dad’s ailing family business. What Amanda Newland wants is to graduate at the top of her class, as well as finally finish her novel and prove to her family that writing is a respectful career.

What Blake and Amanda don’t want is to be paired up with each other for their final project, but that’s exactly what they both get when they’re forced to collaborate on a writing piece. Since Amanda thinks Blake is a pushy asshole (with a panty-melting smirk and British accent) and Blake thinks Amanda has a stick up her ass (though it’s a brilliant ass), they fight tooth and nail until they discover they write well together. They also may find each other really attractive, but that’s neither here nor there.

When their writing project turns out to be a success, the two of them decide to start up a secret partnership using a pen name, infiltrating the self-publishing market in the lucrative genre of erotica. Naturally, with so much heat and passion between the pages, it’s not long before their dirty words become a dirty reality. Sure, they still fight a lot, but at least there’s make-up sex now.

But even as they start to fall hard for each other, will their burgeoning relationship survive if their scandalous secret is exposed? Or are happily-ever-afters just a work of fiction? 

Review

Perhaps I shouldn't review this. I'm just not sure I can be clear on my thoughts. 

What the heck?! That's never stopped me before.

I did enjoy this story. It kept me entertained and the characters were pretty interesting. I was glad to have two POVs. Also, Ms. Halle didn't particularly rely on the conflict of not talking to each other. These are adults-they should be able to use your words-and Blake and Amanda do.

But there was too much sex. I have no issue with sex scenes, but they have to contribute to the plot/characterization otherwise I end up skimming them.

The characters were fine, but they weren't quite as deep/developed as they could have been. Like I'm not sure I know more than a handful of basic things about them.

I did appreciate that this took place in Canada and it makes me want to go to the West Coast of Canada because I've never been.

Thanks for reading!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment