Friday, April 20, 2018

Review: An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

9408584
Series: Bridgertons Book #3
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 358
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Avon

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Will she accept the offer before the clock strikes midnight?

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball. Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, waltzing in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.

Who was that extraordinary woman? Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other— except, perhaps, this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid's garb. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. If he offers her his heart, will he sacrifice his only chance for a fairy-tale love?

Review

I am continuing with my re-read of the Bridgertons series. This was always one of my favorites and I've read it several times. I still enjoyed it (read in only a few hours), but I did see some problematic things especially with Benedict.

First, the Bridgerton family is the star of this book/series. Violet, especially, is quite the scene-stealer. They are just a fun, supportive, healthy, and loving family. this is the kind of family that takes in people and is always turning friends into family. I'm a sucker for a good family.

This is a Cinderella retelling with the evil stepmother and "prince charming" in Benedict. I actually am not a huge fan of this type of story, but this one works for me. I think that's because of how strong Sophie is as a character. While the world has limited a lot of her options she fights for agency and independence whenever she can. IT's very east to like and care about her. She also has a little sarcastic streak that I love.

Benedict is the prince charming character. He is also where I saw some issues this time around. Now, he is a kind man who cares about his family which is endearing. Generally, he's respectful of women, but sometimes he says and does some problematic things. He has a tendency to talk down to Sophie when she says no to him. Thankfully, she stands up to him and defends herself. But it was still disrespectful. He also did the thing I hate when characters are having sex: say he won't be able to stop. I get that this is a sign of passion, but NO, both parties must stop if consent is ever removed. I feel like you don't see this exchange much anymore.

Even with my issues this time around, I like this book. It's an emotional read for me and I even teared up a little. Onto the next one.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment