Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Review: The Ones Who Got Away by Roni Loren

34569847
Series: The Ones Who Got Away Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

It's been twelve years since tragedy struck the senior class of Long Acre High School. Only a few students survived that fateful night—a group the media dubbed The Ones Who Got Away.

Liv Arias thought she'd never return to Long Acre—until a documentary brings her and the other survivors back home. Suddenly her old flame, Finn Dorsey, is closer than ever, and their attraction is still white-hot. When a searing kiss reignites their passion, Liv realizes this rough-around-the-edges cop might be exactly what she needs..

Review

Look, I read another book because of the Smart Bitches podcast. And I really enjoyed it. Although, it is eerily timed since it follows people who were involved in a school shooting. I will not get political, but Ms. Loren did navigate the political issues without taking a stance. Personally, I think this makes the books easier to enjoy.

Through all the trappings, this is a reunited lovers story and that is one of my favorite tropes. Olivia and Finn's relationship was sweet and steamy. It was nice to see them loosen up around each other. They were very attracted to each other, but knew they had to be smart about entering a relationship. That level of awareness isn't always easy to find in romance.

I really liked the relationship between the four ladies. It's a friendship forged in tragedy which is different. Even though they were brought together they haven't remained close. This is very natural for friendships. But they are also still very supportive of each other. I'm guessing/hoping this will be a four books series where each lady gets her own story. That would be interesting because they each have a different perspective on the shooting. 

Speaking of the shooting: that was quite an emotional journey and really made me think. Personally, I think I've become desensitized to death in a lot of forms including school shootings. I still know it's horrible but don't have the kind of physical reaction I think I should. But this reminded me how real people who go through these types of tragedies are. And that they and/or their families have to find a way to keep living after loss and the attention is gone. It made me want to simultaneously know what real-life survivors are doing, but don't want to poke around in their life.

Thanks for reading!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment