Monday, April 16, 2018

Review: Talk Sweetly to Me by Courtney Milan

23000024
Series: Brothers Sinister Book #4.5
Format: ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Self-Published

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Nobody knows who Miss Rose Sweetly is, and she prefers it that way. She's a shy, mathematically-minded shopkeeper's daughter who dreams of the stars. Women like her only ever come to attention through scandal. She'll take obscurity, thank you very much.

All of England knows who Stephen Shaughnessy is. He's an infamous advice columnist and a known rake. When he moves into the house next door to Rose, she discovers that he's also wickedly funny, devilishly flirtatious, and heart-stoppingly handsome. But when he takes an interest in her mathematical work, she realizes that Mr. Shaughnessy isn't just a scandal waiting to happen. He's waiting to happen to her...and if she's not careful, she'll give in to certain ruination. 

Review

The Brothers Sinister series is now over for me. That's kind of sad.

This was such a cute and fun novella. The tone really felt like Stephen and made me smile. Ms. Milan does acknowledge the treatment of blacks and the realities of an inter-racial relationship, but was still hopeful.

I really liked Stephen and Rose. Stephen is so funny, kind, and caring. It's actually nice to have a non-angsty romance hero. Rose is shy, but in an understandable and nice way. Sometimes shyness feels like a throwaway trait for heroines. And she is incredibly intelligent. Like I don't understand anything she says, but I'm so glad Ms. Milan kept it in there. Just like Stephen, I got sucked in by her enthusiasm for math and astronomy.

I'm glad I finally read this. And I am trying to read more racially diverse romances. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment