Monday, March 18, 2019

Book Review: Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas

40404706
Series: The Ravenels Book #5
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 384
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Avon

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Although beautiful young widow Phoebe, Lady Clare, has never met West Ravenel, she knows one thing for certain: he's a mean, rotten bully. Back in boarding school, he made her late husband's life a misery, and she'll never forgive him for it. But when Phoebe attends a family wedding, she encounters a dashing and impossibly charming stranger who sends a fire-and-ice jolt of attraction through her. And then he introduces himself...as none other than West Ravenel.

West is a man with a tarnished past. No apologies, no excuses. However, from the moment he meets Phoebe, West is consumed by irresistible desire...not to mention the bitter awareness that a woman like her is far out of his reach. What West doesn't bargain on is that Phoebe is no straitlaced aristocratic lady. She's the daughter of a strong-willed wallflower who long ago eloped with Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent—the most devilishly wicked rake in England.

Before long, Phoebe sets out to seduce the man who has awakened her fiery nature and shown her unimaginable pleasure. Will their overwhelming passion be enough to overcome the obstacles of the past?

Review

This book was almost perfect. If there had been just a little bit more at the end or maybe an epilogue it would've gotten 5 stars.

Lisa Kleypas is just a master storyteller and this book is no exception..

I'm not usually a fan of widow/widower books-especially if kids are involved-but I loved Phoebe. Her strength and compassion is beautiful. I also loved the story around her first husband. And she was such a caring and good mother. West is a lot like Phoebe's dad, Sebastian, and his growth over the series was very well done. He cares deeply for people and works hard which is respectable.

The romance was very mature. Phoebe and West have a mutual attraction and immediate chemistry. They also both have a reason to not act on that attraction, but the way they handle it feels very mature and adult-like. And who knew talking about farming and accounting could lead to a strong and interesting foundation for a romance.

The children were pretty adorable. Maybe now that I've turned 30 I'm turning into a softy. The easy and natural interactions Phoebe and especially West had with the boys was adorable. I want Justin to have a book someday just so I can read more about his relationship with West.

How can I talk about this book without mentioning my OTP: Evie and Sebastian. I love that Ms. Kleypas threw in a little scene with those two. And it was nice to see them as parents-especially Sebastian. Oh my gosh, every scene with him was just perfection. Oh, and the Merritt mentions were fun, too. I'm always game for Wallflowers references. I wouldn't complain if some Hathaways showed up as well.

I'm not ready for this series to be over, so hopefully it isn't. There is still one Ravenel not paired off so I'm hopeful. I also wouldn't be mad if Ms. Kleypas wrote about Sebastian and Evie's younger kids someday.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment