Friday, May 31, 2019

Book Review: A Tyranny of Petticoats edited by Jessica Spotswood

22020592
Anthology
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 354
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
How I Got It: Gift
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction
Publisher: Candlewick Press

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Criss-cross America — on dogsleds and ships, stagecoaches and trains — from pirate ships off the coast of the Carolinas to the peace, love, and protests of 1960s Chicago. Join fifteen of today’s most talented writers of young adult literature on a thrill ride through history with American girls charting their own course. They are monsters and mediums, bodyguards and barkeeps, screenwriters and schoolteachers, heiresses and hobos. They're making their own way in often-hostile lands, using every weapon in their arsenals, facing down murderers and marriage proposals. And they all have a story to tell.

Review

Anthologies are so hard to review. So, I did write quick comments on each short story as I read (see below).

They are nice because they expose you to new/different authors and stories. I definitely want to check out Y.S. Lee's books now and I'd never even hear of her before. It's a very diverse anthology in a variety of ways which is a plus of anthologies-a variety of POVs.

Most of these stories felt like a set-up for a large story. I wouldn't mind the reading of those books, but that isn't the purpose of an anthology. 

Some of my favorite stories are:
Madeline's Choice
Gold in the Roots of the Grass
The Legendary Garrett Girls
Hard Times

And here are my individual thoughts/reviews: 

Mother Carey's Table: 3 Stars. This one came across a little blah. Because it's short there's little opportunity to explore these characters. The descriptions were good and I could feel what Joe was feeling. But it wasn't anything special.

The Journey: 3 Stars. It deals with Europeans (I assume) encroaching on Native lands. She does a decent job of showing a snapshot in time. And there was tension that had me interested. But I wasn't blown away.

Madeline's Choice: 4 Stars. I really enjoyed this. It talked about a group of people I've never even hear of (which is awful). I really felt for Maddie and her situation. New Orleans has such a different history than the rest of the US. I liked a glimpse into that story/place in time. I wouldn't hate if Ms. Spotswood wrote a whole series in this setting. Now, I need to learn more the gens de couleur libres.

El Destinos: 3 Stars. This follows mythological characters-the Fates-in a non-traditional setting. It was interesting to see her play with the setting and culture. I cared about these characters, but would have preferred more. It kind of feels like a lot to shove into a short story.

High Stakes: 3 Stars. This story blends supernatural elements with the historical fiction. It had potential, but too much scope for such a short story. I was engaged and wanted to know more which kept me reading. But ultimately, I was a little disappointed. 

The Red Raven Ball: 3 Stars. Another Civil War-set story which I'm beginning to realize I don't read a lot of. It is an interesting time to explore-especially because the war split families apart. This was a bit predictable. And again felt like a lot for a short story-not so bad if you look at it as a snapshot in time. There is a trend with these stories.

Pearls: 3 Stars. This was probably one of the better stories, but I can't give it more than 3 stars. You have to make a lot of guesses/inferences about certain events and characters. Ms. Revis left the right amount of bread crumbs. And I really liked the ending.

Gold in the Roots of the Grass: 4 Stars. My favorite (so far) which is even more impressive because this isn't a setting I particularly like. There was so much packed into this story and it was done well. Ms. Meyer slowly weaved cultural and character background info so you understood, but didn't get an info dump. She showcased the darkness of the setting, but also had a beautiful hopefulness.

The Legendary Garrett Girls: 3 Stars. I really enjoyed this. It's almost a 4 star, but I can't quite go there. The characters were interesting-I particularly like the sister's relationship. Ms. Lee kept me on the end of my seat and I had no idea how the conflict would be resolved. I've never even heard of Ms. Lee, but I'm definitely interested in checking out her books now.

The Color of the Sky: 3 Stars. What to say? This was good, but not for me. It was like a snapshot in time (again) which is not something I typically like. I did like learning about a historical figure I've never heard of. I definitely want to learn more about here. 

Bonnie & Clyde: 3 Stars. I don't even have anything to say. But I want to write something for each story. This was fine, but fairly forgettable.

Hard Times: 3 Stars. This was so close to four stars. It was interesting with compelling characters. But it was another set up/snapshot story. I would love a full-length exploration of this story and characters.

City of Angels: 3 Stars. This story made me so sad. there was a hopefulness to it, but mostly it made me sad for Evie (and Frankie) and the real people who were in their situation. It is written well-very close to 4 stars. Sorry, I can't explain why.

Pulse of the Panthers: 3 Stars. This story covers a difficult and awful time in American history. It's important to discuss this time. It was well-written but I think the Black Panthers are a complicated organization, so it's hard to discuss them in a short story. I did recently listen to a podcast that discussed Bobby Seale so it was interesting to read his name. 

The Whole World is Watching: 3 Stars. Thankfully, this story had a hopeful element. When it started I thought the anthology would end on a sad note because of the content. Again, I think this is a pretty complicated time/situation/event to condense into a short story. And I came in with some outside knowledge.

Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment