Friday, July 12, 2019

Book Review: Prince Charming by Rachel Hawkins

43355180
Series: Royals Book #1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 320
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporay
Publisher: Penguin

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Meet Daisy Winters. She's an offbeat sixteen-year-old Floridian with mermaid-red hair, a part time job at a bootleg Walmart, and a perfect older sister who's nearly engaged to the Crown Prince of Scotland. Daisy has no desire to live in the spotlight, but relentless tabloid attention forces her join Ellie at the relative seclusion of the castle across the pond.

While the dashing young Miles has been appointed to teach Daisy the ropes of being regal, the prince's roguish younger brother kicks up scandal wherever he goes, and tries his best to take Daisy along for the ride. The crown--and the intriguing Miles--might be trying to make Daisy into a lady . . . but Daisy may just rewrite the royal rulebook to suit herself.

Review

This was a cute YA contemporary. I read it in just a couple of hours and enjoyed my time with the characters. The romance was cute, but not as developed as I would've liked. Actually, I felt that way about a lot of the story. I wanted more development with many of the characters and story lines. 

It felt kind of like a Disney movie-if drinking was kosher on the Disney channel. It was a very one level story. Like I would've like to know more about the sister's relationship. I would be ok with less romance if that relationship had been more deeply explored.

The friendships were really cute and pretty healthy. There is a group of guy friends that seems a little toxic, but is actually pretty good which I like. And Daisy's parents were funny. It's nice to have a YA book with parents who are actually in their kids' lives.

Overall, this was a good story. Maybe it is more of a 3.5 star read. I definitely want to pick up the next story. And I hope more of the side characters get books because I'm interested in them.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment