Sunday, August 24, 2014

Review: A Rogue with a Brogue by Suzanne Enoch



Series: Scandalous Highlanders (Book 2)
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 352
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                This is actually the second book in a series, but I haven’t read the first one and you don’t have to. Although, I read it out of order because I didn’t know. Opps!
                Generally I have a love/hate relationship with the Scottish historical romance. But I had just watched the Outlander pilot and it got me in the mood for the Highlands and sexy Scottish guys.
                I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a Suzanne Enoch book and this one didn’t disappoint. From the very beginning I was drawn into the world and attached to the characters. The romance and sexual tension was effortless. Honestly, I’m not sure I’ve seen a romance introduced so easily. And the characters weren’t in love instantly (thank God) but they were attracted to each other and intrigued. The romance was also developed at a very good pace.
                Both Arran and Mary were great characters. Normally, one character is more interesting or enjoyable, but not in this book. Both characters were strong, weak, smart, impulsive, strong, and thoughtful. And thank you, Ms. Enoch, for making a strong hero who isn’t emotionally damaged, a man whore, and/or over-protective. Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate those characteristics, but this was a nice break.
                I only have two complaints and they’re kind of related. First, is how easily the conflict was resolved. Maybe the next book in the series will pick up on this some more. My other issue was that a few more chapters or an epilogue would have been nice. This would have flushed out the ending just a little bit.
                I would recommend this book easily. It would probably be a good transition book if you’re looking to get into the Scottish romance from a more traditional ballroom-set regency romance. And I’m looking forward the buying and reading the first and next books in the series.

~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment