Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Review: The Devil Wears Kilts by Suzanne Enoch



Series: Scandalous Highlanders (Book 1)

Format: Paperback

Pages: 325 pages

Rating: 3 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                Honestly, this book was pretty “meh” for me. And it’s kind of forgettable. I definitely preferred the second book in pretty much all things: the characters, the romance, and the larger plot/conflict.

                When it came to the characters, I couldn’t connect with Ranulf or Charlotte. I found them both kind of bland and lacking in any real depth. And they basically kept having the same conversations with themselves and each other.

                I also thought the romance was pretty weak, too. Before they decided they liked each other they had no chemistry. And then it was as if they were like “we’re characters in a romance novel and must love each other.” For example: the first time he kissed her it seemed to come out of nowhere.

                The larger family plot also fell flat for me. The conflict with the other families is just executed better in the second book. Plus, Ranulf’s main issue seemed to be deciding if he should change everything about himself for a woman. That just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. And the ending was ridiculously abrupt. That seems to be a trend for this series.

                I will say I liked seeing the MacLawry family interactions. You get to see how each one fits into their family dynamic. Arran is my favorite, but I’m curious to see if Bear gets a book and what the storyline will be.

                I respect that Ms. Enoch wanted to be authentic, but sometimes the Scottish dialogue was too much. It would pull me out of the story because I had to stop and really think about the dialogue and what it was saying.



~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment