Friday, September 26, 2014

Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson


Series: The Remnant Chronicles (Book 1)
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 486
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the library

                So, I really struggled with rating this book. Until around page 300 this was going to be a 2 star book. And I did like it more as the stakes were raised and it came to an end. However, that could only do so much to make up for the beginning. Now, a lot of people really like this book, so it appeals to some people. And even though I had quite a few issues I plan on continuing with the series.

                My main complaint is that this book had so much potential and it went unrealized. I expected so many more fantasy elements and world building. Instead a huge chunk of the book is Lia forcing herself into relationships. And basically the whole story is driven by her desire for love/a boyfriend. I can respect that, but her decision ends up hurting a lot of people and it bothered me that she didn’t even think about that ahead of time.

                And, for me, the world building was lacking. I’m still confused about the history of the world and how all the different countries interact. Then there’s the magic that isn’t explained clearly. I feel like Ms. Pearson is purposely keeping things close to the vest, but it made it hard for me to get fully invested in the story.

                Then, there’s the romantic elements. There’s supposed to be this love triangle, but it seemed like Lia just wanted a relationship, so she went after both guys. You know if you throw enough darts one is bound to hit. And I just don’t believe she has strong romantic feelings for either Kaden or Rafe.

                I did like the idea of not knowing if Kaden or Rafe were the Prince or Assassin. For a huge part of the book that mystery is what kept me reading. Although, I did figure out who was who pretty early on.

                The book really picked up for me when the secret came out. Things felt more intense and dangerous. Plus, not everything was about romance. If the series continues with the tone of the end of this book I’m hopeful I will enjoy it.

                Like I said earlier I do plan on continuing to read the series, but I’m glad I got this from the library. And when the next book comes out I’ll probably get that from the library, too.



~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment