Saturday, November 8, 2014

Stay With Me by J. Lynn (Jennifer L. Armentrout)



Series: Wait for You (Book 3)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 448
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
               
                This book is big for New Adult/contemporary book. But, of course, Ms. Armentrout delivers. I don’t remember Calla from the previous book, but I liked reading from her POV. Jax was also an interesting character. I gave this 4 Stars which I think I gave Be With Me. However, I like this more than that book.

                First, I’ll talk about some things I didn’t like. There was some repetition of dialogue. Jax and Calla would have some of the same conversations on the same word choice would be used. I’m sure the fact that I read this in one day didn’t help this. Also Calla would be childish sometimes. Her past partially explains her behavior, but it’s still a personality trait that bothers me.

                This didn’t bother me, but it might upset some people: there’s a lot of swearing. I grew up in a family that swears so it’s fairly normal for me. Honestly I get more upset when a character doesn’t swear and it feels like the dialogue seems to demand than swearing. And Ms. Armentrout doesn’t use it too much. The characters swear in a natural way, but I felt like I should mention it since that kind of language turns some people off.

                Now onto thins I enjoyed.

                Like I said earlier I liked Calla’s voice. Since the book is in first person her voice sets the tone. Because of her dramatic  past she could be moody and dark, but she’s actually funny and keeps the story from being super angsty.

                Jax and Calla’s relationship also developed well. Romance is always going to be faster in a book than real life because that’s the nature of the medium, however the pacing her is great. So many New Adult books (I’m looking at you Foreplay), escalate crazy fast.

                And Jax is a great guy. He definitely reminds me of Cam from Wait For You, but is his own character. He’s strong and will fight like an alpha male but can be super sweet and kind.  Plus, a sexy bartender always make a good male hero.

                Then, there’s the fact that Calla has a lot of scars. I think I’ve mentioned this a lot lately, but I love reading about characters with physical and mental deformities/disabilities. There are millions of people like that in the world and they should have stories, too. And I definitely like reading about women like that. Having a scar or scars doesn’t mean you aren’t beautiful or can’t be loved.

                If you’ve read the other books in the series you’ll also love seeing the couples. Considering this book doesn’t take place primarily on the college campus they show up a lot.

                And I can’t wait for the next book. It’s about two characters introduced in this book and I’m dying to know more about them and their story. 

~Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment