Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Review: Love, Cajun Style by Diane Les Becquets



361968
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

This is less a story with a beginning, middle, and end and more of a “here’s a look at the summer months of this girls life.” That’s not a bad thing, but it’s not really my kind of story. And it’s definitely a very southern book.

Lucy is a fairly good main character. She doesn’t make stupid decisions and isn’t annoying. Sometimes I would get angry about something she was doing (or not doing), but I understood why she was acting that way from a character perspective.

I did like the romance in here. It wasn’t a huge part of the story, but it was cute. I’m actually a little conflicted, because I could always use more romance, but this isn’t a book about a young romance. And throughout the book there are several different relationships and forms of love-good and bad. This adds some realism and honesty.

A huge part of the story is female friendship. The main is Lucy and her two best friends. But there’s also Lucy and her Tante Pearl and mother. And the older ladies in the town who are kind of like the older version of Lucy and her friends. And none of these relationships are bad. They have ups and downs and evolve, but that’s normal.

Without going into spoilers I will say I don’t understand why the Mr. Banks part was included. It just didn’t seem to contribute anything to Lucy as a character or the overall story.

This book would totally work for some people, but it isn’t quite for me. I feel bad because I can’t fully explain why.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment