Monday, August 3, 2015

Review: Second Position by Katherine Locke



22663595
Series: District Ballet Company Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

This definitely lived up to my expectations. I don’t think it’s a perfect book, but I couldn’t give it less than five stars. But I also don’t think this story is for everyone. It’s very angsty and Zed and Aly are fairly dysfunctional characters.

Speaking of, I actually like how messed up they are. It allows for a lot of character growth and they are very aware of their problems as individuals and a couple. They do tend to run hot and cold, but they are artists so it makes sense.

I’m glad this book takes place a few years after the novella. It creates a different dynamic. Then, there’s the added conflict of Zed no longer daring. Losing something that basically defines you is a challenge and Ms. Locke did a good job of exploring those complex emotions.

Just like the novella though, I wanted more backstory. And other characters. Aly and Zed just become so focused on each other and are kind of co-dependent. They remind me of Lily and Lo from the Addicted Series by Krista and Becca Ritchie. I’m very curious to see how or if this changes in the next book.

My favorite thing in this book is Dr. Ham. Those were my favorite chapters. They have a different style because it’s all dialogue so it makes it more raw. Plus, he’s hilarious and I wish he was my therapist. He better be in the next one.

If nothing else this made me understand (to some extent) why people like After by Anna Todd. But Zed is so much better.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment