Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Review: When I’m Gone by Abbi Glines



22609598
Series: Rosemary Beach Book #11
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I feel like this is common when I read an Abbi Glines book, but I’m conflicted. She definitely knows how to write an engrossing story, but I do have some issues. But I keep reading them so she’s doing something right.

Generally, I liked the characters in here. But I liked Mase in Harlow’s story so that wasn’t much of a surprise. And it was nice to see Jimmy again. But Mase was a little bit of a freak-which I mean in the nicest way possible.

Reese is very easy to like. But in the first few chapters she was written kind of dumbed down. I understand she has problems, but she sounded like a ten year old inn those chapters. That did go away so it wasn’t a hug problem for me.

For the most part I like Mase and Reese as a couple. They have chemistry. But they also talk a lot which is kind of a breath of fresh air in the World of New Adult. (Is this even still classified as New Adult?) And Mase is a very supportive partner.

However, there were some things I found a little problematic. Because of her past I think Reese is a little naïve so sometimes she seemed to not have any agency in their relationship. And Mase’s words sometimes felt too possessive and a little manipulative. Looking at other parts of his character I don’t think he’s a bad guy, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

I definitely plan on reading the next book in this series and it will probably be my next read.

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault/Abuse

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment