Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Review: Lady Isabella’s Scandalous Marriage by Jennifer Ashley



7070067
Series: MacKenzies and McBrides Book #2
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 316
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance, Marriage in trouble, reunited lovers,
Publisher: Berkley Sensation

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Six years ago, eighteen-year-old Lady Isabella Scranton scandalized all of London by eloping the night of her come-out ball with the notorious rake, Lord Mac Mackenzie. After three turbulent years of marriage, she scandalized London once again—this time by leaving him.

Now Mac has resurfaced, every bit as charismatic, and with one goal: to seduce Isabella back into his life and his bed even if it means acting like a real gentleman. But when Isabella rises to the challenge of posing nude for Mac's erotic paintings, her pent-up hunger for the decadent rake is exposed as well, and she finds herself unable to resist the smooth strokes of an artist at work.

But someone's been watching them—dangerously close. This ingenious forger with designs on Mac's paintings also sets his sights on Isabella herself. Deciding to become Isabella's protector, Mac vows to never leave her side, whether his independent and proud lady likes it or not.

Review

I do like the first book more, but this was still a great book. And I think most of the differences between them come down to personal preference. That may not be fair, but it’s true. And Jennifer Ashley has completely lured me into her web. I just put the next four books in the series and can’t wait for them to arrive.

Spending more time with the MacKenzies was great because I love them soooooo much. They are a freaking great family. Plus, there was more Ian and Beth.

Mac and Isabella are both great characters. I liked them in the first book and was intrigued by their story. I’m definitely a fan of marriage in trouble stories. The characters lived up to my expectations, but the plot was a little bit of a letdown. Mac, especially, was interesting because it’s a look at alcoholism which I don’t often see in historicals.

I don’t really want to talk about the forgery/mystery plot. I guess it was well done, but I don’t really care about it. I don’t have any complaints about it.

Overall, I liked the romance and they have chemistry. But sometimes I would just get annoyed. For a huge part of the story they were very static and that drove me crazy. I also would have like more of their backstory-especially pre-separation. I cared about them, but I feel like that would have gotten me more invested.

I’m definitely enjoying this world and the characters. They are great historicals and I would recommend them hands down.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment