Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Review: The Duke’s Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley



8563829
Series: MacKenzies and McBrides Book #4
Format: Mass Market Paper Back
Pages: 296
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Berkley

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Lady Eleanor Ramsay is the only one who knows the truth about Hart Mackenzie. Once his fiancee, she is the sole woman to whom he could ever pour out his heart.

Hart has it all--a dukedom, wealth, power, influence, whatever he desires. Every woman wants him--his seductive skills are legendary. But Hart has sacrificed much to keep his brothers safe, first from their brutal father, and then from the world. He's also suffered loss--his wife, his infant son, and the woman he loved with all his heart though he realized it too late.

Now, Eleanor has reappeared on Hart's doorstep, with scandalous nude photographs of Hart taken long ago. Intrigued by the challenge in her blue eyes--and aroused by her charming, no-nonsense determination--Hart wonders if his young love has come to ruin him . . . or save him.
 
Review

I didn’t know how I felt about Hart going into this, because he’s been fairly distant win the other books. But I did really like Eleanor and Hart’s story. This is a reunited lovers story and I got the backstory I thought was missing in Mac and Isabella’s story. A big bonus for this one: more Ian.

Eleanor is fantastic. She is very independent and self-assured. And she never loses that which I liked. She really pushes Hart who needs to know he isn’t God. I didn’t like Hart as much as Eleanor, but I did like him. It was especially nice when he would be vulnerable or interact with Ian.

Their romance is good. I was good. I wanted them together and I really liked the look back at their original courtship. And Ms. Ashley did it in a different way by using different techniques like old letters.

One problem I did have is one of the issues in their relationship. There was a lot of emphasis on Hart’s sexual past and how he thought Eleanor would be disgusted if she found out. It just wasn’t as big of a deal as it was made to be.

That epilogue though. It was so cute and exactly the kind of epilogue I want when I’ve been reading a series about a family.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment