Monday, April 4, 2016

Review: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

9943270
Series: His Fair Assassins Book #2
Format: Paperback
Pages:
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Gift from family
Genre: Young adult, historical fiction, fantasy
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
 
When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.

But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for...


Review

I thought I loved Grave Mercy, but this one blew it out of the water. I do want to give a quick trigger warning for sexual abuse. There isn't anything graphic, but I'm sure it would upset some people.

While Grave Mercy was deep-seated in politics, this was more character-driven. The overall political plot of the series was moved forward but this is Sybella's story. And she was heart-breakingly amazing. Nobody should have to go through what she does, but it shows how strong she truly is.

My favorite thing is Ms. LaFevers writing. She perfectly blends historical writing. She perfectly blends historical and fantastical elements. This goes for her writing style, too. And she does a good job of hooking me in a peaceful way. This may not make sense, but when I read fast-paced books they kind of stress me out. This is so easy on my brain and eyeballs.

I know I haven't mentioned the content much, but I think you should just read this book (and series) kind of blind. Just go on the amazing journey. Oh, and there is a romance but it's pretty low-key. And it's definitely not the main focus of the story. Thought I'd say something, because I know some people feel strongly about those kinds of things.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment