Friday, April 29, 2016

Review: Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

1265703
Series: Study Book #2
Format: Paperback
Pages: 419
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Then bought)
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, New Adult
Publisher: Mira

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

elena is a survivor. Kidnapped as a child, held prisoner as a teen, then released to act as a poison taster, she is now a student of magic. But these magic skills place her in imminent danger, and with an execution order on her head, she has no choice but to escape to Sitia, the land of birth
But nothing in Sitia is familiar. As she struggles to understand where she belongs and how to control her powers, a rogue magician emerges - and Yelena catches his eye. Suddenly she is embroiled in a situation not of her making. And once again her magical abilities will either save her life... or be her downfall.


Review

I'm obsessed right now. I want to live in this world. And I have like the hugest girl-crush on Yelena. She is amazing, strong in so many ways, and very kick-ass. To me, she is who Celeana from Throne of Glass is trying to be.

This book caused me a lot of stress just like the first one. I never knew who to trust and I felt betrayed when Yelena was. And it's hard to guess what's going to happen. I think this is because Ms. Snyder writes deep realistic characters. A character can be likeable and have positive attributes, but make a mistake or give into selfish desires.

Sitia is definitely different, but I'm so glad the world is expanding. In this world there is less good versus evil and more how to navigate diplomacy. This is definitely something I love reading about and I expect it will only continue.

Based on the title, it should be no surprise that the magic system is explored. I am still confused by some of it, but I think I just need to spend more time with it. It is cool that the magic works in different ways and strengths. Plus, the clans handle it in unique ways.

I'm so excited to read more about this world-especially Yelena. Good thing there is so much out there. Well, not good for my bank account.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment