Monday, September 26, 2016

Review: The Blood Kiss by J.R. Ward

24903031
Series: Black Dagger Legacy Book #1
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 397
Rating: 4 stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Signet

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Paradise, blooded daughter of the king’s First Advisor, is ready to break free from the restrictive life of an aristocratic female. Her strategy? Join the Black Dagger Brotherhood’s training center program and learn to fight for herself, think for herself…be herself. It’s a good plan, until everything goes wrong. The schooling is unfathomably difficult, the other recruits feel more like enemies than allies, and it’s very clear that the Brother in charge, Butch O’Neal, a.k.a. the Dhestroyer, is having serious problems in his own life.

And that’s before she falls in love with a fellow classmate. Craeg, a common civilian, is nothing her father would ever want for her, but everything she could ask for in a male. As an act of violence threatens to tear apart the entire program, and the erotic pull between them grows irresistible, Paradise is tested in ways she never anticipated—and left wondering whether she’s strong enough to claim her own power…on the field, and off.
 
Review

This actually reminded me a lot of the early Black Dagger Brotherhood books. I don't know what the spin is, but I wouldn't read this without reading the first BDB books.There's the obvious spoilers, but I actually don't think those are that bad. I think you would need more backstory on the world than this provides.

There are three kind of overlapping plots--it's kind of like a three-circle Venn Diagram. The most minor is a murder-mystery. It was kind of just thrown together and was very predictable.

I actually kind of liked the Butch/Marissa story line. They have never been my favorite couple, but this kind of raised their stock. And they faced some very real relationship struggles. Ms. Ward seems to be doing this more which I liked. It makes the couples feel more developed.

Then, there's the Paradise/Craeg romance. This is what I actually came for and probably is my favorite. It's definitely insta-lovey, but that's how these vampires actually work. The chemistry was spot-on. And Paradise is great. She has a physical strength which is built on a strong mental will. And she has so much generosity. Her  relationship with her dad also melts my heart. Craeg is also interesting, but she just overshadows him.

I'm very excited about the potential of this series. There is so much groundwork for this to turn into another found-family series. I love those and nothing would make me happier than to see that happen.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment