Friday, June 30, 2017

Review: Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

18692431
Stand Alone
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Publisher: Delacorte Books

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Review

I waited about two months on a library hold before I could read this book. That may have played a roll in my rating, but I don't think it did Maybe this has been so built up in my mind, but I found it a little lacking. It's a good book that explores some difficult situations in a beautiful way. The story-telling was different and had a nice pacing. But it didn't feel as deep as I was expecting.

Maddy is a great character full of real emotions. Even though I'm not even close to being in the same situation as her I could understand her and even relate to her. It's also great to see a lot of diversity-racial, physical health, mental health, etc. And I definitely liked the female relationships. There's Maddy and her mom and Maddy and Carla-her nurse. Olly was also interesting but I don't have a lot of thoughts on him.

Before I go into spoilers here are some more vague comments. The romance was cute but a little rushed. Maddy's personal/internal struggles were the more gripping parts of the story to me. The ending felt abrupt, but I think my thoughts on that could change upon a re-read.

Spoiler Time!!!

The reveal about Maddy's illness shocked me and initially felt cheap. I was wondering the whole time I was reading how this book would be "resolved." But that plot choice is starting to grow on me. Although, it did feel hurried. I actually love that her mom is so protective of her daughter that she's able to convince herself that she's sick. It is awesome to have a book look at what grief and mental illness can do to anyone even if they are highly intelligent.

That's it.

What do you think of this book?

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment