Friday, July 7, 2017

Review: Irresistibly Yours by Lauren Layne

23395414
Series: Oxford Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Loveswept

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Hotshot sports editor Cole Sharpe has been freelancing for Oxford for years, so when he hears about a staff position opening up, he figures he’s got the inside track. Then his boss drops a bombshell: Cole has competition. Female competition, in the form of a fresh-faced tomboy who can hang with the dudes—and write circles around them, too. Cole usually likes his women flirty and curvy, but he takes a special interest in his skinny, sassy rival, if only to keep an eye on her. And soon, he can’t take his eyes off her.

Penelope Pope knows all too well that she comes off as just one of the guys. Since she’s learned that wanting more usually leads to disappointment, Penelope’s resigned to sitting on the sidelines when it comes to love. So why does Cole make her want to get back in the game? The man is as arrogant as he is handsome. He probably sees her as nothing more than a barrier to his dream job. But when an unexpected kiss turns into a night of irresistible passion, Penelope has to figure out whether they’re just fooling around—or starting something real.


Review

I think this is my fourth Lauren Layne book and it might be my favorite. There's something in her books that are my catnip. And she has so many books which makes me happy. This one, in particular, reminds me of Julie James' FBI/US Attorney books, but without the suspense elements.

Penelope is a fantastic character. Authors often try to write an easy-going girl-next-door character, but they usually feel false or fall flat. She actually reminded me a lot of myself. She has these "woe is me" moments, but also knows she's doing it. She's actually very self-aware instead of self-deprecating like this type of character can be. And Penelope Pope is a badass name. My name is also alliterative so I may be a little biased.

Then, there's Cole. I really like Cole. He gives me that school-girl crush feeling. Now, he isn't as well-developed as Penelope but he is deeper than I initially thought he would be. And I really enjoyed his relationship with his brother. It would've been nice to spend more time with his brother. The author's note also made me feel like I have to get on reading the Stiletto books so I can see him before all this.

I loved the whole group of friends/couples. They are such great friends (men and women alike). And it made me want to read all their books whether they are before or after this one. So much sequel bait here.

The characters are stars, but we've gotta talk romance. There is an attraction/chemistry between Cole and Penelope, but this really feels more like a friends-to-lover story. I'm not always a fan of that trope, but it worked here. It made me really buy into them as a couple-probably because they talked instead of just banging like rabbits all the time.

I'm really happy to have read this and look forward to reading the other related books. Lauren Layne is a great writer.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment