Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Review: Rule by Jay Crownover

17851754
Series: Marked Men Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (Overdrive)
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Publisher: Harper Collins

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight--A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn't want--and the only person she's never tried to please. She isn't afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won't listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess-and his dead twin brother's girl. She lives by other people's rules; he makes his own. He doesn't have time for a good girl like Shaw-even if she's the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails, and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love . . . or each other.


Review

I know I'm not the first one ot bring this up, but why do people in New Adult books have such weird names? Is it like a rule? And I know I'm judging, but it is a little odd.

Moving on to the actual book.

This was OK but had some Beautiful Disaster vibes. But Rule and Shaw aren't nearly as co-dependent and dysfunctional. Rule felt a little one-dimensional. I believe this was Ms. Crownover's first book so it could be growing pains. Shaw was developed slightly better. And their romance was mildly interesting. It got better once Shaw wasn't only talking about how long she's been pining away for Rule. Now, I am not a fan of unrequited love so that could be a part of it.

My feelings on this really come down to personal preference. As I get older I'm less into the alpha males who are hyper-aggressive. It's often off-putting instead of attractive. But there are a lot of people who like it.

I am a little interested in the other guys, but I'm not dying to read them. It's kind of a "if I get to it-good, if I don't-still good" situation.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment