Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Book Review: Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

248482
Series: Books of Bayern Book #2
Format: Audiobook
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library (I own a physical copy)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publisher: Full Cast Audio
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

It's been two years since Enna was swept up in a heart-pounding court adventure. Now, having returned to her old life in the forests of Bayern, she is growing restless. When a strange force takes possession of her brother, Liefer, she returns to the capital to seek the help of her friend Isi, Bayern's princess. But Bayern is tottering on the verge of war with neighboring Tira.

When endowed with the terrifying gift that destroyed Liefer, Enna takes herself to war-only to embark on an epic journey of discovery and betrayal that will force her to come of age. Shannon Hale's fiery companion to her acclaimed retelling of The Goose Girl is dark, intricate, deeply passionate, and ultimately triumphant. Listeners, whether returning to Bayern or making their first visit, will find themselves enthralled.

Review

Apparently, I remembered nothing from this book. So, it was kind of like reading it for the first time again. So, it was definitely a stressful/tense read (or listen).

The friendship between Enna and Isi is maybe one of the best friendships in all of fiction. It's so real, honest, and beautiful. I want to be their friend.

This book is darker than the first one. There is a war and Enna has to deal with some serious and dark situations and choices. I would let my 10 year old cousin read this, but as a 30 year old I see the extra layers of darkness. Obviously, there is magic which plays a role in here. But part of Enna's story is like a study in Stockholm Syndrome. I don't know if that was Ms. Hale's intention, but that was my interpretation. It broke my heart and made me think about things in the real world.

I enjoyed the production of the first audiobook more, but this was still very good. A full cast reading makes it feel even more cinematic. They do a great job bringing life to Ms. Hale's beautiful writing. And I'm excited to read Razo's story again. He's really crawled into my heart in these first two books.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment