Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Book Review: Winter's Beast by Twyla Turner

35272740
Stand Alone:
Format: ebook
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Dark Romance, Contemporary
Publisher: Self-Published
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Ivan Petrov is a ruthless Russian businessman who is only six degrees off mob boss. He doesn't care about anything other than getting what he wants. And he wants Winter Rose, the prodigy opera singer, and is willing to torment her sexually until she begs for it. He could care less that Yury, his disfigured and most trusted guard has fallen for her. 

Winter's Beast is one part sugar and sweet, two parts sex and sweat. It is not your typical Romance and although it has an HEA, it's a dark, twisty road to get there. 

***WARNING*** 
***Mature Content***May be triggering for some***

Review

Originally, I wasn't going to review this, but I can't get it out of my head. Maybe I should up my rating to 4 stars because of that.

So, this book is very sexual and kinks. This does make me a little uncomfortable, but in a I'm the prude way, not because of the actual writing. I prefer more character and romance development, but Twyla Turner did a good job using the sexual encounters as a character development tool. Although it is a little redundant.

Winter and Yury were interesting characters and I'm grateful for the dual POV. The voice of both characters was a little too similar. Yury's a sympathetic "beast" character and I love a scarred character. There was one thing that happened to him near the end I wish hadn't . It was a solution for something that wasn't really a problem-in my opinion. I found winter's story fascinating. I'm not sure I've read about an albino before. and there was an added layer of her being black-so she didn't look like her family in a more drastic way than I would. Also, as an outside observing white lady, blackness is very important in the black community. Historically, people would idolize whiteness and lighten skin. Now, there's a backlash to that. Of course everyone is beautiful, but Winter has all of this compounding her Albinism. It was really interesting to read about. 

This was an interesting Beauty and the Beast retelling. It is a messy and complicated love story. It isn't for everyone, but I'm glad I read it.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment