Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Review: The Dom Project by Heloise Beallau and Solace Ames



Format: Ebook

Pages: 157

Rating: 3 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                This isn’t the type of romance I would normally read. After reading Fifty Shades I wanted to read more BDSM books to see if it’s a sub genre I could get into. I was listening to old episodes of the DBSA podcast and Jane talked about this book. It appealed to me because it’s a BDSM story, but more cutesy. Neither of the main characters have deep dark pasts.

                I did enjoy this book, especially the characters. John-the hero- is strong, but not over-the-top alpha. He’s also a good friend. And not just to the main characters. He’s generous and kind to practically everyone he knows. This is an easy way to show he’s a good person. He’s also Asian-American which I don’t think I’ve ever read before.

                Robin is also a well-done character. What I like most is how honest and open she is with her sexuality. She knows what she wants sexually and, for the most part, isn’t afraid to ask for it. And she isn’t ashamed to enjoy herself sexually.

                I only have a few issues with the book and some of them are personal choice. First, there was a conflict that came up with his family that was a little forced for me. The ending was also a little unresolved for me. I feel like some parts of their relationship, especially sexually were open-ended. I don’t want to spoil anything, but it just wasn’t complete for me.

                Like I said before some of my issues are personal. Honestly, I’m just not sure I’m completely on board with BDSM stories. There’s parts of the lifestyle that makes me uncomfortable-especially when it comes to the pain thing. Whether it’s fair or not, those things do pull me out of the story so I have to lower my rating.

                All of that being said: I would like to read some more BDSM stories. I want to give it the best chance I can. What I think would be a really interesting read is a story about a dominant woman and submissive man. I’m sure they’re out there but I haven’t heard of one.



~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment