Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: Never Too Far by Abbi Glines

Series: Rosemary Beach (2)
Format: E-book
Pages: 272 pages
Rating: 3 stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                I know I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first book in this series, but I needed to know what was going to happen to these characters. Overall, I gave both books the same rating but this one bothered me a little more.
                Basically, the characters continued to make decisions that didn’t make sense to me. Especially Blaire-she got on my damn nerves with her back and forth. I actually liked Rush more in this book. This is probably because of the dual perspective that exists in this book. This allowed us to see more of his perspective and helped explain some of his decisions and actions. Another complaint is that the plot moved way too fast, but I’ll go over that more in the spoiler section.
                Since we are on the topic, let’s move on to the spoiler bits.
                I’m not surprised that she ended up pregnant. I’ve read my share of romance novels and an unplanned pregnancy is a fairly common (maybe overused) story device. But the pregnancy-especially her symptoms-went a little fast. I’ve never been pregnant but I’m pretty sure your boobs don’t go up two cup sizes in like two weeks.
                Part of the problem is that the book does take place over a couple months, but Ms. Glines just jumps around. It would have been nice for the story to slow down and see them just interact as a couple. Really the only way you know how much time has passed is because of Blaire’s multiple doctor’s appointments.
                Can we talk about how much each of these characters over-reacts to every little issue? And blaming it all on the pregnancy hormones is just annoying. I wanted to reach into the book and punch Blaire every time she would tell Rush she understood a decision he made, but then complain about it. You cannot have it both ways. Especially when he was willing to walk away from his relationship with his sister and mother, but she couldn’t be sympathetic.
                I thought Rush did a lot of growing in this book, but he would backslide. I also didn’t like how much he would baby Blaire. There’s being protective which is sweet and then there is being obnoxious and over-bearing. I guess they deserve each other.
                Another issue I have is the whole Nan situation. I just don’t understand her and at the same time feel bad for her. As the reader, I feel like we are supposed to hat her, but I feel like she’s been used as a tool by her mother. But I don’t understand how someone can be that much of a bitch. I feel like she is just there to be a villain and to make you feel bad for Blaire. But the whole thing wasn’t working for me.
                I’m practically in love with Woods. He is probably the best part of the book. The way he treats Blaire is the way Rush should treat her. He is kind, supportive, and appropriately protective. It’s nice that he also knows how to walk away from a fight. You can be strong and not fight every guy who looks at your girlfriend sideways.
                Then there was the whole big reveal with Abe not being Nan’s father. This kind of felt like it came out of nowhere, but I liked that we got to see more of him. In the last book he was more like a person we heard about. But now he got a decent-sized scene with both Rush and Blaire. Unlike with Nan, we get more insight into why he has done what he has. In some ways I feel kind of bad for him. I hope this means Blaire can start to work through her issues with him-this is her only family left. It would also be nice if he continued to be a presence in their lives and the next book.
                And just like with the first book I will keep reading. Although my understanding is that chronologically the next book is Woods’ so I’m excited. Please don’t disappoint me Ms. Glines.

~Thanks for reading!
Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment