Sunday, August 24, 2014

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart



Format: Hardcover

Pages: 240 pages

Rating: 2 Stars

How I Got It: Borrowed


                I went back and forth on reviewing this book but figured: what the hell? This book has had a lot of hype and a lot of that hype is publisher created by being so secretive about the plot. I am surprised that a lot of reviewers have kept up the secret.

                You might like this book and you might not, but you’re definitely more likely to enjoy it if you haven’t been spoiled. It’s kind of like watching The Village after someone told you the ending. Trust me, I did that.

                That being said: I’m one of the people who did not enjoy this book, but I think I’m in the minority. I had two main issues and no I won’t discuss spoilers.

                My first issue is that I guessed what the twist/secret was fairly early. To me it was obvious, but maybe I watch too much TV. It just took away the shock value many other people.

                My other problem is the main character: Cady. I just couldn’t connect with her or become emotionally invested in her story. And if you can’t have that kind of connection this type of story losses some impact.

                While I may have not been a huge fan with my 2 star rating many people have raved about it. So, I wouldn’t say don’t read it, but I suggest borrowing it from the library instead of buying it.



~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment